Sp Lubawa ZS Lubawa Gazeta Olsztynska Lubawa Lubawawm Sp Lubawa Librus Lubawa Bankier Lubawa Poland Lubawa Moje Miasto
| Lubawa | Gmina_Lubawa | Lubawa_County | Coat_of_arms_of_Lubawa | Fijewo,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Battle_of_Lubawa | Jan_Konopacki | Czerlin,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Lubstynek | Losy | Ludwichowo,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Gutowo,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Rakowice,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Osowiec,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Kazanice | Rumienica | Pomierki | Tuszewo | Lubstyn | Napromek | Targowisko_Dolne | Rodzone,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Raczek | Zielkowo | Omule | Grabowo-Osada | Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship | Lobau_(disambiguation) |
|Gmina||Lubawa (urban gmina)|
|• Mayor||Edmund Antoni Standara|
|• Total||16.84 km2 (6.50 sq mi)|
|Elevation||145 m (476 ft)|
|• Density||550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code(s)||+48 55|
Lubawa is located in Gdańsk Pomerania, approximately 15 kilometres (9 miles) north-east of the town of Nowe Miasto Lubawskie, 55 kilometres (34 miles) south-west of the town of Olsztyn and 115 km (71 miles) south-east of the regional centre of Gdańsk, at an altitude of 145 metres (476 feet) above sea level.
In 1214 the local Prussian landlord Surwabuno was christened by Christian of Oliva, the first Catholic bishop of Prussia. The latter is nowadays featured on the coat of arms of Lubawa. The town was first mentioned in a papal bull of January 18, 1216, issued by Pope Innocent III. Soon afterwards a wooden castle was built. Within the monastic state of the Teutonic Knights, the Bishopric of Culm was created in 1243 by William of Modena. In 1257 the town became a property of the church and the seat of the bishops of Culm (Chełmno). In 1268 the castle was destroyed. Between 1301 and 1326 a new castle was built of stone by the local bishop named Arnold. In 1330 it was destroyed by an invasion of Lithuanian forces of Gediminas, but was rebuilt. The town of Löbau was captured by the Kingdom of Poland after the Battle of Grunwald in 1410 but returned to Prussia once the Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic War ended. However the surrounding Land of Löbau had gone partially to Masovia in the south.
After the Second Peace of Thorn (1466) ending the Thirteen Years' War, the town of Löbau became Warmia administered and soon afterwards became a centre of local trade and commerce. As such it became one of the seats of the bishops of Warmia. In 1533 it was razed to the ground by a great fire mentioned by Erasmus of Rotterdam, but it was soon rebuilt and between 1535 and 1539 Nicolaus Copernicus lived in the local castle. In 1545 the town and the castle were yet again destroyed by a fire.
The town gained significant profits from the trade. In 1627 the castle was refurbished and became a German Empire.
Until 1920 Löbau belonged to Province of West Prussia.
As a consequence of the Treaty of Versailles the region became part of the Polish Corridor and the town was incorporated into the Second Polish Republic. In the 1939 Nazi invasion of Poland the region was occupied by the Third Reich, and from 26 October 1939 to 1945 Löbau belonged to Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder in the new province of Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia. The Nazi regime housed in Löbau a German concentration camp for children; it was liberated on January 21, 1945, during World War II, when the Red Army captured the region. After the end of war Lubawa became part of Poland where it remained since then.
Note that some of the data in the above table is based on primary, potentially biased sources.
Lubawa is an important centre of furniture industry. Also, a "Lubawa S.A." company is located there, which is the biggest Polish producer of military equipment such as bulletproof vests, currently used by the Polish Army and the Polish press.
Lubawa is a centre of local tourism. The "Wzgórza Lubawskie" forest reserve is located only some ten kilometres (6.2 miles) westwards and the picturesque Drwęca (Drewenz) River flows some five kilometres (3.1 miles) to the west. Also, the nearby battlefield of the Battle of Grunwald attracts many tourists, both from Poland and from abroad, mostly from Germany.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lubawa.|