| Marthasville,_Georgia | Marthasville | Wilson_Lumpkin | Big_Bethel_AME_Church | Richard_Peters_(Atlanta) | Joseph_Thompson_(doctor) | Moses_Formwalt | John_Collier_(judge) | Downtown_Atlanta,_Georgia | History_of_Atlanta,_Georgia | List_of_North_American_settlements_by_year_of_foundation | Timeline_of_Atlanta | Daniel_Boone_Home | Jonathan_Norcross | 173_(number) | List_of_city_name_changes | Athens,_Georgia | Conyers,_Georgia | Lumpkin_County,_Georgia |
Marthasville was the previous name of Atlanta, Georgia. Marthasville was named after Governor Wilson Lumpkin's daughter, Martha; it was officially incorporated on December 23, 1843. Prior to the name "Marthasville", it was called Terminus.
The name was later changed to Atlanta by act 109 of the Georgia General Assembly which was approved December 26, 1845 and signed into law December 29, 1845. In the same act, the election precinct known as the Whitehall precinct (in the home of Charner Humphries) was also changed to Atlanta. In 1847, the city's charter was approved, elections were held and the first slate of councilmen and the mayor took office in January 1848.
AN ACT to change the name of Marthasville, in DeKalb county, to that of Atlanta; also, to change the election precinct now held at the house of Charner Humphries, known as the Whitehall precinct, to Atlanta.