Mining in Brazil is centered around the extraction of gold, copper, tin, iron and bauxite.
Mining in Brazil Contents
Mining in Brazil History
- Discovery of first gold rush in 1690s, gold discoveries made in streams not far from present day city of Belo Horizonte.
- In 1729 diamonds were discovered in the same area. This started a diamond rush.
- By 1760 nearly half of the world's gold was from Brazil.
- In the early 18th century nearly 400,000 Portuguese immigrants came to mine in southern Brazil.
- Over half a million African slaves were shipped to work in the gold mines.
Mining in Brazil Mining today
In 1988 Brazil was the 5th largest gold producer in the world. Brazil mined iron, gold, tin, copper and Bauxite (contains aluminium).
Mining in Brazil See also
Mining in Brazil References